Monday, March 4, 2013

Tell Them



When they lead you away and deliver you up, don't be anxious beforehand, or premeditate what you will say, but say whatever will be given you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. Mark 13:11 WEB

I really love giving sermons. When I prepare a sermon it takes a long time and much effort on my part. I research the history of the text, search in my past experiences on how the text relates in my life and search deep within my heart for what the Word is saying to me. The most important thing that I have to do in preparation for a sermon is to pray. I have to really depend on the Spirit to provide me with a message that my congregation needs to hear. I am not well educated in theology or philosophy so I have to rely on those things that provide the most effective message. The most powerful message I present are those things that the Spirit provides. This same Spirit touches all of us. I can hear the most amazing things from the most unexpected people. God touches us with children, friends, strangers and acquaintances. It can come to us from anywhere or anyone. All of us is also used by the Holy Spirit to touch other people. Can you find where the Holy Spirit is working through you? I think it is hard for us to see. It is easy to see how the Spirit works in others, but hard to see in us. The only way for us to really know for sure is when someone tells us that we had an effect on their life. Next time the Spirit works through someone and moves you, tell them. Tell the children that they made you smile in your heart. Tell your friends that they made your heart warm. Tell the strangers how they made you feel welcome. Tell your acquaintances that you now know them better.

No comments:

Post a Comment