Friday, March 22, 2013

Once Bitten, Twice Shy



The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. John 10:10 NRSV

This video by Francis Chan highlights an idea that I have never thought of before, the idea of playing it safe. I like safe. I like calm. Maybe I seek safety because I have been hurt by taking to many chances. Are you like me and are afraid to step out of your safe zone because of your own failures or because you experienced injury from others? When things don’t go our way we become afraid and this fear hardens our hearts. If every time I reach my hand to pet a dog the dog bites, it would be natural to be afraid that the dog may bite me the next time. The problem is that I begin to think that every dog will bite me. Life is like this sometimes. We become afraid that we may be hurt and this fear prevents us from living an abundant life. When we have a relationship with God, wonderful things begin to happen. The life of Christ that we begin to recognize dwelling in us dispels the fear of our past. Our injuries heal and we become new and refreshed. Through Christ our suffering and pain become the fertile soil in which our happiness grows. This freedom allows us to try again to live the abundant life that is meant for us. We can then leave the safety and comfort of what we know and take a chance. Sometimes we may still fall, but Christ love will be waiting to pick us back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment